My old band from Montreal (1985-1988)
The band’s name “Vee Gates” means “How’s it going” in German. Though, it is written “Wie geht’s?” From that cool play on words, you will get the essence of the Vee Gates band that had its early origins in Chemical Valley in Sarnia, Ontario Canada!
A band with a name like that has to be a bit nuts!
The Vee Gates was an underground band, first formed in London, Ontario in 1985 that hit the Montreal scene in the summer of 1986. The original three members hailed from the home of Chemical Valley, Sarnia, Ontario. The music was standard bass, drum, and guitar and usually had a dark literary edge to many of the songs. The group disbanded in 1988.
The last song ever recorded was Radioactive Man in the spring of 1989 when an obscure member named “Sci-Fi Man” joined the band for a local radio contest in Montreal.
Here’s a cool JUKEBOX of the best of our old TUNES:
Band’s shelf life (January 1985 – November 1988):
- Formed in London, Ontario in January 1985
- Relocated to Montreal in May 1986
- Gave up the ghost in November 1988 (Montreal)
Names of all Vee Gates Members in order of appearance:
- Pete Forrest – vocals, guitar (1985-1989)
- John McGrath – bass (1985-1986)
- Trent Rogers – drums (1985)
- François Dubeau – drums, bass, guitar, producer (1986-1989)
- Daniel Schwartz (Danny-Boy) – drums (1986-1989)
- Rina Gribovsky – bass (1987-1988)
- Sci-Fi Man (François Machabée) – special project (1989)
Vee Gates photographer(s)
- Rina Gribovsky (official photographer 1987-1989)
- Jonathan Brooks (1987 Marianopolis gig only)